One of the Most Experienced and Seasoned Trial Lawyers
in Southern California
Peter Williamson, with offices in Woodland Hills, California, has the courtroom reputation of achieving justice for his clients time and time again. For more than 38 years, he has devoted his legal career to protecting the rights of individuals and small to medium-sized businesses. Peter’s trial experience includes successfully representing clients in all kinds of business disputes and personal injury matters in both State and Federal court.
Peter M. Williamson, Esq.
Peter obtained his bachelor’s degree from Rutgers University and his Juris Doctor from South-western University School of Law in Los Angeles. He has been a licensed attorney in California since 1981 in both State and Federal court. Peter is admitted to practice in all courts of the State of California, the United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Central Districts of California as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also has successfully litigated cases in various states outside California including Florida, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, and Virginia.
Peter is currently a member of the State Bar of California, American Board of Trial Advocates, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles, and American Attorneys for Justice. He has served as a Judge Pro Tem and Mediator in the Superior Courts of Los Angeles and as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Southwestern Law School and the University of West Los Angeles School of Law.
Peter’s law practice emphasizes business litigation, construction litigation, the defense of wage and hour claims and all types of personal injury cases including accidents that cause catastrophic injuries. Peter is also a trained Mediator and received part of his mediation training at Pepperdine University’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (rated the No. 1 Mediation training program in the United States by U.S. News & World Report).
Peter has over 38 years of trial experience handling a wide variety of cases. Over the course of his long career, Peter has obtained multiple million-dollar verdicts and settlements (several of them record setting) for his clients. Some of his cases have been featured in the Los Angeles Times, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the Boston Globe, the Charlotte Observer, the Ventura County Star, the Los Angeles Daily Journal, and Lawyers Weekly.
In December 2008, Peter, along with Attorney John Burton, was the subject of a cover story in California Lawyer Magazine, the official publication of the State Bar of California (TASERS: Lethal or Not). His cases have also been featured on CBS News and 60 Minutes. In 2017, Peter appeared in the feature length documentary, Killing Them Safely, which examines safety concerns involving the weapon used by police known as a taser and his pursuit of landmark products liability litigation against its manufacturer, TASER International, Inc.
Peter is the co-author of “Representing Clients Injured by TASER Electronic Control Devices” which appears in the 2011 edition of Civil Rights Litigation and Attorney Fees Annual Handbook published by Thompson-West. He has also written several articles that have appeared in the ADVOCATE, a trial lawyer’s magazine. Mr. Williamson has been interviewed extensively by various media outlets as an expert on TASER® brand electronic control devices.
In 2010, Peter was named a Super Lawyer in California, a prestigious honor bestowed on only the top 5% of all lawyers in the state. He has also been named a Super Lawyer in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.
TASER is a registered trademark of TASER, International, Inc.
- Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Malibu, CA, Mediation Certificate, 2016
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Civic Mediation Center, Los Angeles, CA, Mediation Certificate, 2016
- Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA – J. D., Juris Doctor, 1979
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, B. A., Bachelor of Arts, 1976
- State Bar of California, 1981
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2005
- United States District Court for the Central District of California, 1981
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 2005
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 2005
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California, 2007
- State Bar of California
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Attorneys for Justice
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- California Super Lawyers, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Faculty Member, ABOTA Jack Daniels Trial College
- Volunteer Fee Arbitrator, Ventura County Superior Court
- Volunteer Judge, American Attorneys for Justice National Mock Trial Competition
- Volunteer Judge, Southwestern Law School Annual Negotiation Competition
- Volunteer Instructor, Coastal Carolina University, Mock Trial Team
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Attorney Mentor Program
- Los Angeles Big Brother/Big Sisters
- Judge Pro Tem, Los Angeles County Superior/Municipal Courts
- Pro Bono Mediator, Los Angeles County Superior Court
- Member, Technology Committee, State Bar of California, Litigation Section
- Volunteer Staff Attorney, South Bay Free Clinic